Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Favourite Ingredients

Grains

Quinoa is a gluten free and high in protein (12-18%) and is considered a complete protein. Although I would never substitute healthy pasture feed meat and eggs for a vegetable source of protein as vegetable sources of protein are much harder to absorb. For me, I use quinoa for the texture. I add it too my bread, soups, and stews. You can also steam it and use as an alternative to rice of cous-cous.

Amaranth is also gluten free and much the same as Quinoa is high in protein.

Buckwheat is from the rhubarb family. It is not technically a grain, therefore gluten free. I must admit I haven’t cooked with buckwheat as much as I would like to. I will be updating is section once I explore this grain a little more. I have a great recipe for Sourdough Buckwheat Bread .

Spelt is my favourite grain to bake with. It is the perfect substitute for wheat flour. Although it still contains gluten and is a close relative to wheat, I can still use the same recipes and achieve the same tastes and flavours but produce food that is easier to digest. These days wheat is in so many things, sauces, processed breads etc, and most people find they are intolerant to it.
 
Kamut and Rye are much the same as spelt. They still contain gluten but can be tolerated by those with a wheat allergy. I love using Kamut or Spelt pasta, I find I don’t feel as bloated after eating it. I use a combination of Rye and Spelt flour to make my Swiss style bread.

Oats Although not gluten free oats, are great to tone the nervous system and to fuel you for a busy day. I use organic whole rolled oats (not the quick oats variety).



Sugars

Someone once tried to argue that white sugar is the same as any other alternative to sugar such as rapadura. They are correct that the molecule of glucose in white sugar, honey, rapadura etc is the same. But I believe that we must have some pleasures in life and food is one of them. I use sugars that have a nutritional benefit as well to sweeten my foods.

Rapadura is full of vitamins and minerals unlike refined sugars because it still contains the nutrient dense molasses. It has a caramel taste and completely dissolves in water.

Black strap molasses is know as an old fashion remedy for just about anything.

Manuka honey has strong antiviral and antibacterial properties.

Oils/Fats

Butter I use Gympie farm butter if I can get it. If not any organic cultured butter is good.


Coconut oil Nui's is the best I think Click here to view Nui website


Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
At the moment I am using up the last bit of Little General and then I am starting a new bottle of Nolan's Road.



No comments:

Post a Comment