Fruit mince filling
280g brown sugar
100gm of each: currants, glaced figs, dries sour cherries and fresh dates (finely chopped)
70g candied orange peel finely chopped
40g cedro finely chopped
Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp of each finely grated nutmeg, ground cloves and ground ginger.
Combined all ingredience in a large bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Or you can just buy fruit mince filling. There are really good organic ones with not bad ingredience lists.
Gluten-free sweet pastry
450g white rice flour
250g cold butter
170g caster sugar
- Add rice flour, sugar, pinch of salt and cold butter to food processor and combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time with blades still running.
- Once dough comes together place on bench and lightly knead.
- Wrap in plastic and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Roll 1/4 dough out between two piece of baking paper so that it is about 1/3rd cm thick.
- Carefully remove from paper and place over one hole of the muffin tin. Gentle let dough fall into muffin hole and lightly press into its edges.
- Cut any excess dough away and repeat steps 6-8. until 1/2 of dough is used.
- Place muffin tray in oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden, take out of oven.
- Place one good tablespoon of fruit mince mix into each pie.
- With left over dough, roll between two pieces of baking paper and using a star shaped cutter, cut dough and gently peel back and place on top of fruit mince mixture. Repeat for all pies.
- Sprinkle tops of pies with caster sugar.
- Place back in oven for further 5-10 minutes until star on top is lightly golden.
- Allow to cool in tin. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART TO FOLLOW!!!
- Once tin cool enough to touch, place a wire rack over the top of the muffin tin and gently but quickly flip the muffin tin upside down onto the wire rack. (the pies will be upside down so flip them over using you fingers)
I say this is the most important step as this is GLUTEN FREE PASTRY so is more crumbly than regular pastry and this is your best chance of getting them out of tin without breaking.
Merry Christmas : )